So a new year and new month is here, my holidays were pretty good and I managed to pick up a couple of the things I’m looking forward to either read or play this month.
For gaming this month, I picked up Sunless Sea, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Assassin’s Creed: Rogue, Assassin’s Creed: Unity, and Game of Thrones – A Telltale Game Series. All of which I’ve been thinking about picking up and playing. In particular I was really looking forward to play Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 when they were first released on the playstation and I’m pretty happy that Squaresoft are porting their games to PC and using Steam. I’ve been interested in trying out the Assassin’s Creed games since playing Black Flag. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Sunless Sea and pretty happy that it was on sale. After playing The Wolf Among Us, I really wanted to play Telltale’s Game of Thrones, it will be something that will help keep my interest in the A Song of Ice and Fire series until the new season of Game of Thrones.
At the moment I’m playing the shit out of World of Warcraft, the new arena season has rekindled my interest. I have also been trying to get legendaries on some of my alts. At the moment, I’ve been working on my Mage’s legendary Staff quest. I’m about halfway through the questline, specifically on the Branch of Nordrassil part of the Delegation quest. I also had some extra money to pick up a couple in-game pets, a mount, and a helm.
Pretty happy with getting in-game items, and after 10 years of playing WoW I figured I play enough and spend enough time playing to justify spending the money on the items.
A new season will start in Diablo 3 and I’m looking forward to playing it again. A lot of cool changes to different sets and a couple new sets have been added. I think I’m gonna try out a Demon Hunter and a Crusader.
In times when I’m not playing WoW or Diablo 3, I will be playing Final Fantasy XIII.
For audiobooks this month, I’ll be listening to Harry Potter and the Half Blooded Prince. I’m already about 5 hours into it already. I’m enjoying the Harry Potter series so far and can easily see why the series is so popular and in particular I like to get into the details put in (or left out) of the adaptation of the books to film. So far I find the series very compelling and I like that it moves past just being a “kids book” after book 2 (and it really does pick up in book 4.) I look forward to finishing up the series with the Deathly Hallows later in the month. I’m enjoying the narration by Jim Dale, however the female voicing is a little underwhelming. Dale’s pronunciation of Harry, it sounds a lot like Hair Ree! It’s odd at first but it becomes endearing after 5 novels.
With my other audible credit, I’m going to pick up A Knight in the Seven Kingdoms. I keep meaning to read the book I ordered but I never really get around it, so I wanted to pick it up to listen to it. It’s narrated by Harry Lloyd, who played Viserys in HBO’s Game of Thrones. The sample I heard and I found it to be pretty good, so I’m really looking forward to it.
With my better internet connection and my unlimited bandwidth cap (SO MUCH BETTER than a 25 gigabyte cap), I may also pick up an extra 3 audible credits. IF I do pick up an extra 3 credits, I will most likely pick up 2 books in the Witcher series, The Sword of Destiny and The Last Wish. I’m hoping the audiobooks for The Swallow’s Tower (Book 4 in the series) and Lady of the Lake (Book 5 in the series) will be released some time this year. With the 3rd credit IF I get the extra credits, I want to pick up Richard K Morgan’s Market Forces. Morgan was my favorite author last year, as I said in a previous post, and definitely want to check it especially after being blown away by Morgan’s Thirteen.
This month I’ll be watching the Harry Potter series on bluray, I got it on sale from amazon.ca for 49.99$. I find it pretty cool that I’ll be rewatching the series after listening to the audiobooks and finishing the series later this month. I also picked up Mission Impossible: 5 movie collection for 29.99$ on bluray, which I will definitely be watching this month. I really enjoyed Rogue Nation and looking forward to re-watching it later this month. I also pre-ordered Sicario on bluray and I am extremely looking forward to watching it this month. I was supposed to watch it during my trip to vancouver a couple of months ago but Sicario was changed to a limited release and I could not watch it because my trip was only a few day and not 2 months long.
I also picked up the next 3 books in the Fables series, Fables Volume 9: Sons of Empire, Fables Volume 10: The Good Prince, Fables Volume 11: War and Pieces. I am extremely looking forward to reading these and seriously considering picking up some of the stand alone books, in particular the Cinderella books because I really like the spy aspect of her character. For the curious, the books are Cinderella: From Fabletown with Love and Cinderella: Fables Are Forever.
Since this is the new year, I want to list a couple of the things I’m looking forward to this year.
- The Dresden Files: Peace Talks – the newest book in the dresden files which is my favorite service. Hopefully released within the first 6 months of the year.
- Sharp Ends: A compilation of Joe Abercrombie’s short stories in the First Law series.
- Overwatch – Blizzard’s new arena based shooter.
- Daredevil – on Netflix, when I eventually get real fibre optic net.
- Jessica Jones – Another Netflix series.
- Narcos – Yet another Netflix series.
- World of Warcraft: Legion – The new expansion to WoW which will be released later on 2016.
- The X-Files Revival – January 24th 2016, can’t fucking wait.
- Game of Thrones season 6 – Obviously. I wasn’t too impressed with season 5 finale, I felt it was a bit bait and switch as well in bad taste with everything ending in a cliffhanger (especially the Stannis and Brienne bit), but I really liked the season overall.
- Final Fantasy XV – the previews and teasers are looking pretty good.
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided – I really like how well done Human Revolution was and I’m hoping Mankind Divided is half as good.
- Mass Effect: Andromeda – It’s possible that this will be released this year and I hope it lives up to hype.
- The Laundry Files – I really want to listen to a new urban fantasy series and I’ve read several recommendations from reddit about it.
- Shattered Sea series by Joe Abercrombie – Definitely want to check it out, it’s another Young Adult series. I’m really trying to get past that bias of mine.
- Gentleman Bastard Sequence by Scott Lynch – Another series that get a lot of good recommendations from the various subreddits I lurk on.
Out of them all, I am really looking forward to Peace Talks, Sharp Ends, and Overwatch, all of which I plan to pre-order as soon as they are available.